Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Holiday 'FUN' Runs

Happy Holidays everyone. I was going to make this another race review but I thought I would talk about Holiday races, AKA Turkey Trots, Jingle Runs, etc. etc.

   Since 2013 I have taken part in the Thanksgiving Turkey Run 5 Miler hosted by the YMCA in Southern West Virginia. We go there every year and stay with the in-laws and it has become a tradition of mine that when we're up I take part in this race. Every year there's a cold snap that lasts Thanksgiving day but still I go and so do a lot of others. The one thing I like about this race is people come to race. They have trophies for age group winner and overall top 3 male and female runners. They even have a separate walking category.
   A lot of people say that Turkey Trots are for having fun with your friends and shouldn't be about competition. The fact is I have fun when I'm competing against others, most people do. If you want to run along and enjoy it, by all means go for it. I will be right there cheering you to the finish like I do at other races.
   I think the holidays are pretty crazy with the traffic, family you don't really see and shopping that goes on, that reminds me I need to start shopping myself. If you want to race, go race. If you want to have fun, go have fun. A holiday run is what you make of it.

As for my results, I placed 3rd this year and broke a 4 year old PR! #gettingbetterwithage

No comments:

Post a Comment