Monday, November 12, 2018

DAV 5k Recap and thoughts.



"Disclaimer: I received free entry to DAV 5k Newport News race as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!"

What's up everybody? Ben with Bib Rave and Run Bigfoot Run and here's my recap of the Newport News DAV5k benefiting disabled American Veterans. You can also check out my Bib Rave review HERE. First off I need to apologize, I had taken photos and videos of the event and during the run, then proceeded to lose everything on my SD card. I did have the photo on my phone from packet pick up so that's a win.
Packet Pick-Up Area.

What is also a win, is going out and supporting a cause, and that's what the DAV5k is about. You sign up as a Civilian or Active/retired Military and your bib and shirt reflects that. Also as a member of the Military you receive a medal for completing the 5k. The race is not timed, this way they can pass that saving on to the DAV charity, but I would like to see them defer the shirt and maybe not have a water stop. Personally I feel for a 5k they can be wasteful, and if your out to have fun, and enjoy the day with friends you can carry your own water.

Packet Pickup was easy to find and there were several locals vendors and radio stations out with tents. The race had one tent to get your bib, and another to get your shirt and both moved pretty quickly. At the start there was an Honor Guard presenting the colors as well as the singing of the National Anthem and the Pledge of Allegiance. Soon after the Motorcycle Honor Guard started and made their lap around the course followed by the Hand Bikes, then the runners/walkers.

I kind of wish the race was timed as it was flat, and could be a good race to try for a PR. It was a loop course with 3 Cul de Sacs and was a perfect weather day, sunny and cold. I got to talk with several members of the military and they were stoked to be participating and helping DAV spread their message and cause.
Flat Me, Ready to Go!
At the finish, they had snacks and water for everyone, and an after party at a nearby restaurant. Overall, this was super event and for my first untimed 5k, I had a lot of fun. I highly suggest you look into it and see if there is a DAV5k in your area.

For check out DAV5k click HERE

Give me a follow on Twitter and Insta, @bwachter70
Check out the YouTube Channel - Run Bigfoot Run

No comments:

Post a Comment