Friday, March 10, 2017

Letter to my team

So this was my week to write something inspirational to the training team I help coach and I drew a complete blank. After several drafts, I cam up with the paragraphs below.
 Every year I told myself I would try to write more but never started so we shall change that starting today.


When Chris asked me to write something for this weeks email, I really drew a blank. I asked several of you on the Novice team what we should discuss and received several suggestions,
but none of them felt right. So maybe this is a good time to reflect on what we are aspiring to and want from our training.
I started running six years ago when a good friend was told to start by his doctor. My friend stopped running but to this day I still do. At first running for me was about just getting out of the house for a bit. When it was cold or rainy I would use the elliptical. It wasn't until I ran my first 5k that it became something more.
About halfway through, I stopped running and had to walk the rest of the way to the finish. That was the day I almost quit, but my wife said something that changed everything.
“You’ll do better next time.”
I had not thought about the next time, up to that point I had quit almost every hobby I had started or picked up. After that 5k I decided to train harder and started reading anything I could. I realized my mistakes and started to correct them. The one constant on this journey has been to be better than I was last time. Many of you I remember from years past and other events around town and whether you notice it yourself I see you getting better and improving every week. To the new members of the team I see you improving every week. I was going to use this email to review some of the tips I have given out over the past few weeks but I can save that for Saturday.
When April 1st comes and you’re in the corral getting ready just remember to enjoy that moment. Hold your head up high, run tall, take full breaths and relish in the fact in what you have accomplished.

This year I will be trying to get into the Marine Corps Marathon and will use this blog to document my journey. The lottery opens on march 22nd, and if I miss that then Richmond is in November so that will be the back up. Or I will do both if I get in.

No comments:

Post a Comment