Thursday, April 20, 2017

Breaking 20 Project

Training beard
This is just a quick post 2 days before Blue Ridge to start my next goal/project. For the past 3 years I have wanted to break 20 minutes in a 5k. Injury, family and other things have always come up but this year I should have a good chance to attempt this. My goal race is in July, which gives me a little over 2 months for training.

 Part One: Find or make a plan. I have been looking around at different plans, and with my schedule I will be able to get in the training needed. Most of the plans I looked at are 6 days a week with a mix of track and road but I will drop this to 5 days so I will will modify my own plan.

Part Two: Weekly training updates. That's right, WEEKLY. I can do at least that, and maybe throw in an extra post or two when something happens.

During training for Monument Ave 10k and the Blue Ridge Marathon I would use Sunday afternoons for track work. Usually these were mile repeats where I would run a mile then rest for 30 seconds and run another. I thinking about switching my watch to kilometers so I can get a better idea of my splits and see where I need to work and improve, therefore whatever plan I use will be converted into Km from miles.

As of my last training session I am sitting at around 6:45 per mile so I need to take off at least 30 seconds to get to 20 minutes.

Next week I will post my plan.

Ben

PS: IF you read my earlier post I was planning on running MCM this year. I decided not to and will be running the Crawling Crab Half Marathon in October so I will post about training for that during the summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment