Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Training for the DAV5k


    • "Disclaimer: I received free entry to DAV5k Newport News race as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!"


What's up everybody, Ben with Run Bigfoot Run and I thought I would share my training plan for my next event, the DAV5k. DAV is short for Disabled American Veterans and this race series is supporting rehab efforts for our vets. I was super excited to run this as I have never ran in Newport News before and I'm hoping for a flat and fast course. Of course this is coming up one month after running a marathon, so that doesn't give me much time to get ready so I put together a little plan that should get me going for the shorter distance. Without further ado, here's my 4 week 5k plan...

Week 15 miles8 x 400 w/200 recover6 miles6 miles
Week 27 miles400, 800, 1200 ladders7 miles10 miles
Week 37 miles4 x 1600 w/2 minute rest7 miles6 miles
Week45 miles8 x 400 w/200 recover5 milesRACE
  It's fairly simple. I'm running 3 or 4 days a week with 2 fairly standard tempo run, a track day, and a long day. As far as pacing, I try to keep the pace between 10k and half marathon pace for the tempo and long runs, and a 5k or better pace for the track days. For weekly miles I'm going between 25 to 30 per week and I actually skipped one 6 mile run on week 1 due to my foot hurting.

 I normally run 3 days per week, but after the long slower paced training for a marathon I am looking to pick it up with the shorter distance and higher sustained speed.

 To run the DAV5k with me you can use code BIBRAVE4DAV5k to get 20% off your entry when you sign up HERE.

You can also follow me on Twitter and Insta @bwachter70

Come back in a week and see how it's going or check out the YouTube Channel Run Bigfoot Run.


Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment