Monday, June 11, 2018

Live More Now. (Rainy Day Edition)

   Welcome back to the blog. Last post I got to talk about returning to fly fishing with Buff and today I would continue the story but we've received almost 12 inches of rain in the last month and the rivers have been high and muddy. I've still been getting my runs in between the rain so at least we are getting something accomplished.

The other weekend  I went back out to Charlottesville to run on the Rivanna trail and maybe do some fishing. The river was still up and even though the kayaks were enjoying it, I did not want to get in trouble out on the rocks so it was just a running day for me. This section of the trail is paved for 2 miles, then you hit a small section of single track dirt until you reach the end. Yes, there's a sign to tell you that.
Found it!


After my run, I decided to pull out my fly tying gear and give it a try. One of the allures of fly fishing for me was being able to catch a fish on something you made. I went all in back when I first started and threw away most all of my materials when we moved three years ago. Going through my box all I had left was some string, most of my tools and a bag of alpaca fur. While out shopping with my daughter I found a small bag of pheasant feathers at a craft store so I picked them up to see what I remembered.
 The first one while the body looked good, the floss wrapped well and the body was tapered nicely, the hackle was way too big. I tied a second one exactly the same and while it was better overall I messed the head up and tossed it to the side.

My last one came out pretty well. I found some green yarn and used it for the body with an orange tag using some embroidery thread. After adding the hackle and finishing the head, I think it turned out well.


Thanks for reading and lace up and get out there,

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment