Sunday, September 9, 2018

All Aboard the Training Train!





So we're about 4 weeks out from Freedom's Run Marathon and training is right on schedule. I am using the FIRST training plan that has me running 3 days a week and 2 days of cross training. For cross training I'm using an elliptical, I would rather bike, but I don't have one so elliptical it is.

I just wrapped up week 12, but made my long run 18 miles instead of 15 due to missing some miles last week. The FIRST method has you running less, but the runs are at a faster pace than normal and more high intensity. Looking at week 13 I have a 6 x 1200 track workout, that's pretty intense! One thing I have adjusted is I still run with a group twice a week, so I have cut back on my pace on one of those days, and just relax.

I also have one more 20 mile run at the end of week 13, then begin to taper on the long run, but keep up the track intensity and the tempo run varies until we get to the last week, when it's just easy runs with time over distance, just to keep up your fitness.

So why did I pick this plan? I had heard a lot about it and the fact it's 3 runs a week was appealing. I've done plans that were 5 or 6 days a week and could never get the workouts in and started working harder to make them up or skipped it all together. FIRST also allows us to have adequate rest between ours runs, even though we still have cross training days in between them, it's not a daily grind of pounding the roads.
 I started using FIRST about halfway through training. I was training with a group that already ran their target race and at my fitness level it was easy to switch over to the FIRST plan to finish off my training cycle.

I'll be back in 2 weeks for some final thoughts about how my training went and if I think I'm ready for Freedom's Run or not.

Spoiler: I'm ready. I've also been posting videos about my training over on the Youtube channel. Check it out and while you're there subscribe. Here's the LINK.

You can also follow me on Twitter and Insta @bwachter70


Remember, lace up and get out there

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment