Thursday, January 4, 2018

All the Goals!!!

So it's 2018 and everyone and their mom are making resolutions for the coming year. While I don't resolve to make resolutions I do believe in making goals for the coming year. I always try to set some attainable goals, such as PR'ing certain races, and others like running 2018 miles for the year.

About 10 years ago I was working as a manager at a Sports Bar and the company culture used the book Raving Fans, which worked toward setting your goals at 15% increments so they are attainable. Once you reach that goal just set a new goal. It's the one self help book I've enjoyed and followed and still try to to this day. Setting a simple goal gives accomplishment and you're not beating yourself up trying to reach something unattainable.

So let's get to my goals for 2018.



  1. 1. PR Everything. I've noticed that as I've gotten older and   started running with a group (Thank you Rogue!) I PR'd several distances last year. Two of those, the half marathon and 8k were over 4 years old! I PR'd my full distance but I know I can do better as I was pacing someone to get them a PR. This year I'm looking to get them all.
  2. Well, I will run 2018 miles and maybe a little more. In 2017 I managed 1300+ miles but battled with injuries and health problems. I don't foresee that happening this year. I'm working on my hips and core more and cross training so I can get this goal. It comes out to 5.52 miles per day, or 38.6 miles a week.
  3. Break 20:00 at a 5k. This is my white whale and I was planning on doing this in 2017 but other things came up and I only ran one 5k, which I PR'd for the course. Track work and the increase in mileage will help me get there so we shall see.


Granted none of these are the 15% I spoke of earlier, but if yo're just starting set some easy goals like running your first 5k or 10k or maybe that first half marathon. Always try to set something easy for yourself and then the harder goals will themselves become easier.

Until next time, lace up and go run!

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment